Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Don't Drop The Soap

A common side affect to pregnancy is restless leg syndrome. I know, I know... I barely believe that there is such a thing as restless leg but after not being able to sleep because of it starting about 4 months ago, I believe now!! I told my doctor about this because I was getting it during the day and night. It could be from a pinched nerve from my scar tissue and the situation happening around my hips and but. So she gave me a very, very low dose of a narcotic. ( don't worry completely safe for baby ) It's such a small dose I doubt it would affect a small child if they were to get a hold of it. The medicine helped to get me to sleep, sometimes, but in the middle of night it would wear off and I would be stuck at 3am with a crazy leg. When I went to Boise for my baby shower my Avo (grandma) told me about an article she read where you put a bar of soap in your mattress and it will cure the restless leg. I laughed at this, seriously, a bar of soap between the mattress and my sheet is going to help?!?! And she said it couldn't be any kind of soap it needed to be Ivory soap. Well, I didn't try this crazy remedy for awhile. For one, I don't use Ivory soap because I am a Dove girl. Love my skin after a nice scrub with Dove and two it just sounded to crazy. I ended up researching it online and found an overwhelming amount of people who swear by it.

So three days ago I went to the drug store to refill my prescription for my restless leg and decided to get a bar of ivory soap. What's the worse that could happen, my mattress smelling like soap? So I inserted the soap between the sheet and mattress. Funny, the bar of soap doesn't bother me at all, in fact my leg searches for it. And you want to know the crazy thing: IT WORKS!!! a bar of Ivory soap works for restless leg syndrome. I would like to publicly announce my apology to my Avo for thinking her idea was silly and laughing at it. She was right and I love her for it!

You can look it up here online to find out more about soap and restless leg:
http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2005/12/07/soap-under-the/

Speaking of legs and soap... you know whats been truly difficult the past three months to do: Shave! And I am obsessed with shaving my legs and having so many trips to the doctors and here is the story of why:

When I was about 14 I woke up to terrible cramping in my side. It wasn't normal cramping it felt like someone was jabbing a knife into my side. I told my Mom and she called the nurse line and they said to bring me to the ER. I was in so much pain and remember being completely terrified. When we get to the ER I get striped down to one of those super fashionable hospital gowns. I don't get to put my pj pants back on because they needed to have access to my downstairs area because it turned out I had ovarian cysts. I am so mortified by this because it had been forever since I had shaved my legs. I mean forever, it looked like my legs could be the stunt double for Big Foot. And on top of it all I had a super cute young doctor!! You can imagine the embarrassed 14 year old laying there with hairy legs and McDreamy working on you. This memory still makes me blush from embarrassment.

This memory haunts me so much that before I went to the ER back in March for my hyper-stimulation I shaved my legs before I could go. I was in some crazy pain and I still couldn't get over the fact that someone could be touching my legs and they needed to be shaved. I know, I am crazy. I take full responsibly in my crazy!

So now that we are getting closer to having this baby the fear of having unshaven legs is back again. So every other day I am forcing myself to somehow bend over and shave. Thank goodness hubby hasn't walked in during my side bending yoga pregnant pose because he would flip with laughter. So I have come up with an idea:

The Pregnancy Shaver!

You take a back scratchier and duck tape a razor to the end of it. You take another back scratchier and tape soap to it. There you go! No more bending or stretching into weird positions. I think I could go global with it. It could be for the elderly, people recovering from surgery. Plus never again would I have to face a cute doctor and have hairy legs!

I know that in the grand scheme of things the last thing I am going to be concerned about is hair on my legs....but there are a lot of hours in a day. And in those hours thinking about this is just what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment