Monday, September 6, 2010

Pumping some iron

Well.. we had our first tiny bump in the road since the hyper-stimulation back in March. I got my blood test results from my glucose testing and the results came back that I am borderline anemic.

Surprisingly I am not too freaked out by this. I think it's because my Mom and little sister have had this at some time or another and I know it's not that big of deal. Well, it is a big deal but something that can easily be fixed.

I looked it up online and this is what I found out about anemia:

Anemia is a condition where the oxygen-carrying capacity of your blood is diminished.

If you are borderline anemic some of the symptoms you might be having include depression, fatigue, weakness, breathlessness, fainting, dizziness, nausea, inflamed or sore tongue, and headaches.

I have been experiencing some of those symptoms. Fatigue and breathlessness.. but those are also symptoms that occur in your third trimester. Hmmmm

After researching some more about how to combat this problem I found out what I need to be putting into my body.

Here is a list of foods that will also help build the blood:
Clams, oysters, legumes, tofu, organ meats, especially chicken liver, whole grains, black rice, beans, dark leafy greens, figs, seeds, nuts (especially almonds), eggs, rosehips, blackstrap molasses, and seaweeds such as kombu.

Foods that contain higher amounts of Folate are also encouraged:
Asparagus, barley, beef, brewers yeast, brown rice, cheese, chicken, dates, green leafy vegetables, lamb, lentils, legumes, liver, milk, oranges, split peas, root vegetables, salmon, tuna, wheat germ, and whole grains.


Let's see out of that entire list I like chicken, salmon, beans and nuts. The rest sounds like something you would feed me to torture me. So plan B. The doctor gave me a list of supplements to take which include iron tablets. The doctor also encouraged me to eat a steak once a week. Again, not my favorite thing in the world. I told her I would do it for the baby, because at this point the baby seems worth it. hahaha.

I did remind myself that this little bump is nothing. I have been so lucky to have a smooth pregnancy. I don't count the first month and a half with the hyper-stimulation, because that was apart of the IVF. In my pregnancy group I hear a lot of stories about how some women are really suffering through the 9 months and I just feel grateful I can't relate only support. Maybe this is my payday for having such a hard time conceiving?

So, if you have any recipes for iron rich meals or know of a good steak house that doesn't cost an arm and leg email me or comment below.

Time to start pumping some iron.

No comments:

Post a Comment