Wednesday, January 26, 2011

10 weeks!

There is a new lease on life once your baby starts to get into a sleep routine. In my mommy group I can see the desperate faces of the new mommies. I know they aren't getting more then 3 hours of sleep at a time and I know most if not all don't have their mother staying with them like I did. How fortunate was I?!?! I can remember that feeling, no matter how many times someone with an older baby would tell me that it would get better. I didn't believe them. How could you believe anything anyone said to you when you are so sleepy you don't know which way is up? Now I am that mother giving out that advice, "don't worry, it won't last forever". The new mom's eyes stare blankly at you, all you can do is just give them a hug and a coffee.

Juliette is starting to get into a routine of sleep. We start off with a nice warm bath (every other night, her skin gets to dry if we do this daily). Both hubby and I enjoy this and Jules just sits there like she is getting a spa treatment. Hubby and I have our jobs during this bath. Me at the top working on the hair, neck and face. While hubby uses a little cup and pours water on parts not submerged in the water. He wants to keep her warm. He also is the towel guy and lotions and dresses her for bed every night. I love watching him be so gentle and affectionate to her. After that she gets a warm bottle in the rocking chair with mom which puts her to sleep. Up to the nursery she goes, a quick swaddle and off to dream land she goes. Now I would be lying if I said this routine goes smoothly every night. I would say its nice and smooth 80% of the time and to me that's pretty impressive. Jules will go down between 9:30 pm and 10 pm and sleep until 3:30am to 4am, she will take a bottle and go right back down and usually sleep until 7am. Can't beat that.

It's oddly bittersweet. She is transitioning out of the 'newborn' stage and is becoming a baby. I know sounds silly, whats the difference between a newborn and a baby? It's a world of difference, not just sleep wise but emotional wise and the behavior difference is amazing. Its hard to watch her graduate into 3 month old clothing. I found myself holding onto some of her newborn clothes. Putting them in a box for safe keeping. When I hold them up I can't image her being so little and I know I will continue to marvel at her rapid growth daily.

The biggest difference between the newborn Juliette and the 10 week old Juliette is her ability to recognize me and hubby. To have her look at you after you have been away and see her face light up is pure joy. She focuses on your face, she tries to mimic your smile. She is intrigued with the way we talk and make noises. Its fascinating! You really start to bond and connect with her more because she's starting to show you her personality. And the feeling of her bonding with you is overwhelming. To hear her cry out for YOU and for YOU to be the one to be able to sooth her, it slays your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment