Sunday, November 8, 2009

Medication Holiday!

Working with babies, kids and teens for the past 10+ plus years I have heard some crazy things. I have even seen some crazy things from both the kids and their parents. Sometimes I am reminded of past events and they always make me laugh. There has been one incident in particular that keeps coming to mind lately. While working with teens at summer camp a mother came up to me to talk about her son that would be in my care for an entire week. She wanted me to be aware that he was on an "Ritalin holiday" for the week he will be at camp. If you don't know, Ritalin is a drug given to people with ADHD ( Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder). So instead of the parents dealing with their kid while he was medication free they decided to send him off to camp. It turned out to be fine because camp is a great thing for kids with hyperactivity, it's camp!
The reason I thought of this was for the first time in over a year I am medication free! I am on a "fertility drug holiday" and it's FANTASTIC!
Since we are going with IVF in February I don't have to take any of those crazy drugs to stimulate my cycle. No more shots, pills, ultrasounds or predictor kits! It's a holiday!!
Of course come February the drugs I will have to take for IVF won't be a walk in the park. Basically the medications I have been taking for the past year in a half have been the minor leagues and IVF medications is the majors! I have a friend who went through part of the IVF experience and she said the meds where insane, making her feel like she was going crazy. My husband had a co-work basically say the same thing. Luckily though I have my eye on the price! You know when people are trying to lose weight they put pictures of thin women on their fridge to stay focused, well I put my friend's new babies birth announcements on mine. Staying focused and positive, is the key.

Speaking of birth announcements. My best friend was in the same boat of infertility. It was so wonderful to be able to have a friend going through the same thing. We would call each other knowing just what the other needed to hear. Luckily she was able to get out of the boat and just gave birth to a baby girl last week! I am so over the moon for her and can't wait to give that baby the biggest snuggle. Her story just reminds me to never give up hope, and when you hold that baby of your own you will know it was worth the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment