Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Old Wives Tales and Myths.


If you are ever searching the internet (like my Mom) or listening to Ellen (my Avo) then you have run across some pretty silly ways to predict the gender of your baby. So I thought I would try some of these tall tales and we will see in a couple months if they come true.

1st theory: heartbeat

"If you're having a girl, then the fetal heart rate will be above 140. A boy will have a heart rate below 140."

My baby has always clocked in around 150 sometimes even 155. So by this theory, girl.

2nd theory: Craving Something…Sweet?

"Many people believe that your cravings are caused by the sex of your baby. So, if you can't get enough chocolate, you could be having a girl. Does the idea of drinking straight lemon juice sound delicious to you? Then those sour cravings are a result of the little boy inside of you."

I haven't had to many cravings if any at all. I do however enjoy really fresh fruit. I have never really been that into chocolate. So we can either say I am enjoying sweet fresh fruit because its finally summer and they are in season or we can say this theory predicts a boy.

3rd theory: Weight gain

"Thankfully, this one doesn't refer to your weight gain. The belief is that, if your husband puts on weight during your pregnancy, then you will be having a girl. If he doesn't put on a pound, then you're carrying a boy."

Well I am not going to throw hubby under the bus here but I will say he does have sympathy hunger for me so according to this theory, girl.

4th theory: Is the face round and full?

"Some say that the shape and fullness of your face during pregnancy can indicate your baby's sex. Every woman gains weight differently during pregnancy, and every woman experiences different skin changes. If people tell you that because your face is round and rosy you are having a girl"

This is a hard one because I have always had a very round face. I also have very fair skin so any type of physical activity brings on a very rosy tint to my face. So by this theory I have always been pregnant with a girl.

5th theory: What Your Urine Says

"Just take a sample of your urine and mix it with Drano. Depending on the color change of your urine, you will have a boy or a girl."

I AM SO NOT DOING THIS ONE!!

6th theory: The Necklace

"Hold a pendant over your hand. If the necklace swings back and forth, you're having a boy. If it is more of a circular motion, then it's a girl. This can also be done by suspending a ring on a string above your belly."

Okay, let me go get a necklace. *also a quick stop to the ladies room* I did the test. Trying my best to not in influence the necklace I would say it made more of a circular motion. So, girl.

7th theory: Just Ask Yourself

"In a study that asked women with no previous knowledge about their baby's sex, the moms-to-be correctly guessed the sex of their baby 71% of the time."

I can honestly say that I have NO IDEA what I am carrying. I don't have a feeling in either direction. And when I dream about the baby, there is no clear sign in my dream what gender.

I do know that when the moment comes and they tell us either boy or girl it won't matter to us. We are just happy to have him/her after all these years.

No comments:

Post a Comment